The tour de farce 2010 boys will be back on their bikes ... coming soon!

In August 2012 the boys will be back in their saddles as they cycle from Rome to Home to raise more money for charity. Please follow the blog to keep up to date with their preparations, and to follow their exploits during the ride.


Tuesday 21 August 2012

Day 12 - overview

The boys have cycled for so many days now I find myself getting confused about which day I'm writing about.  I'm pretty sure that today is day 12.....

Let's have a little recap:  They've cycled more than 1000 miles;  They've climbed higher than 3x Snowdon (in one day!); They've cycled through 7 countries; They've endured blisters the size of a 50p, aching limbs, delirium, tears, illness, punctures, broken spokes and not to mention lots of problems with their bikes.  They cycle through tiredness and just keep going.  And all because they feel so strongly about the two charities Help for Heroes and Motor Neurone Disease Association.

They boys are amazing - if you haven't already sponsored them then now's the time to do it - follow the links on the right hand side of this page (go on, you know you want to).

Right then, onto the overview of day 12 (or is it 11?  No, definitely 12...)

Today was quite exciting in places; the boys got to meet a 1966 Tour de France stage winner and to quote Stu "they all got a bit giddy" when they met him.  Edy Schultz now owns a bicycle shop and he helpfully fixed Steve's bike and agreed to have his photo taken with the boys:

The boys met Edy Schutz, winner of a 1966 Tour de France stage (and handily an owner of a bicycle shop)

Stu continues:  Day 12. I never thought today would be one of the high points of the trip, but having met a Tour de France stage winner in his cycle shop my opinion changed. Meeting Edy Schutz put the whole team on a bit of a high!!! The countryside was better than I thought it would be, and we missed getting soaked by a massive thunder storm as well, so all in all a very good day. Legs are still feeling strong, and thankfully the blisters no longer hurt :-)


Jamie: Word has got out about my competitive nature and the need to respond to every attack. So the Rome to Home 2012 lads were taking turns to sprint up the hills, while I responded to each one to try and defend the polkadot jersey. The main culprit was Adrian who seemed to have found his sprinting legs. Probably not the best idea, considering we still have hundreds of miles to go but still a good laugh.

A massive highlight of the day was when Adrian sniffed out a small coffee shop in Luxembourg and there was a bike shop nearby. I thought it would be a good opportunity to get my bike looked at while having a coffee. It turned out that the owner was a Tour De France stage winner, Edy Schütz! I was over the moon that my bike’s headset was serviced by him and his son.




George: quite an eventful day. I didn't have any cycling legs this morning and so everything was tough to start with.  I managed to cheer myself up with a few songs on route though. We stopped to have hot chocolate and fix the bike - it was great to meet Edy.  We cycled along a horrible road to get to hotel – busy with cars, and dinner took three hours (agh!) but Luxembourg was beautiful although I have no idea where the borders are (I think we’ve left it now ;-))

My biggest worry now is whether I’m going to fit into my suit trousers for work next week…my cycling thighs are massive!!


Paul: The supposed easiest day of the tour did not turn out quite so easy with a challenging ride into Bastogne, two burst tyres (Me & Jamie), a chain problem (Steve) and most concerning a Wonderwall duet from Steve and George!!!

The morning ride was brilliant, lovely clear roads, mini races and a lovely hot chocolate break in Luxemburg. We even met with a Tour de France legend Eric Schütz who won a stage of the race in 1966. Eric even managed to fix my damaged wheel following my earlier exploits in the Alps, both him and his son were great!! We are all off to eat in the Bastonge which has great historic significance with the second world war, it even has a an American tank in the main square. I just hope Kyle does not take it out for a spin, the consequences would be very grave. Finally, big thumbs up to Adrian, despite being battered and bruised following his earlier scrape (he's fine - ed.) he has not complained once and indeed has seemed to get stronger on the bike. Top man!!!

-----------------------------------------------

Adrian and Steve are still alive, but are asleep and I don't want to wake them asking for their blog entries.  It's likely they enjoyed their meeting with 'Edy' and I'm sure Adrian enjoyed the visit to the cake shop immensely. Steve's Wiggo sideburns are coming along a treat - he's winning the competition so far.

The boys have three days left - with one of the hardest at the end (cycling through Central London on a busy Friday - madness).  They are due back at the Rose and Crown Chorleywood on Friday at 7pm.  We have a party arranged in the pub and the boys want as many people as possible to come along to welcome them back.  There's a bbq and live music (with a £10 contribution to their charities for the grub and entertainment). It would be great if we could pack the pub out.  

Onwards and upwards - here comes day 13 (yikes..)

No comments:

Post a Comment